I've been meaning to share this story with all of you b/c I think it's one worth sharing about my little Emma. The other day, we all went to McDonald's. Well, right now the toys in the happy meals are Littlest Pet Shop theme, if you have girls then you probably know all about these. Well, that just so happens to be one of Emma's favorite toys so she was very excited to get one in her happy meal. Well, we sit down in the playground area to eat and there's only one other child playing. Just so happens, she got the same toy in her happy meal. (There were several different animals in the Littlest Pet Shop theme to choose from, they got the same one). Well, she was already playing and kept coming towards our table saying things like "I get to play first, I don't have to eat first, I get to play and then eat", you know.... things like that. Inside, I'm thinking "Good for you, now go play and let my child eat :)" I've learned that it helps to ensure a good lunch is eaten if Emma plays AFTER her meal........playtime is good incentive.
The toy that Emma got, I think was actually a mouse or hamster but Emma kept calling it a puffin. She's already got a similar one at home that she's had since she was two and she's always called it a puffin for some reason. Emma tries to open up the package and can't, so she asks me to help her. The little girl says, "I opened mine all by myself, I'm big. Big kids can open theirs all by themselves." She looked to be about a year older than Emma. Well, she shows Emma that she has the same toy (while Emma's still eating), and she says it's a squirrel. Emma says, "No, it's not. It's a puffin." And they go back and forth, "no it isn't, yes it is" a couple of times. Under my breath, I just tell Emma not to worry about it, to just finish up her lunch so she could play. Emma kept eating and the little girl kept saying, "It's a squirrel, It's a squirrel, squirrel, squirrel." Then she starts singing it. I was getting a little aggravated, I was going to completely understand if Emma did! But, Emma's wheels start spinning, and she just looks up at the girl and says, "It's a squirrel to you, but it's a puffin to me." The girls says, "It's a squirrel." Emma says, "It's a squirrel to you, but it's a puffin to me." And that's all it took. The little girl stopped, Emma finished her lunch and then they played together. The puffin squirrel was never brought up again!
I'm proud of my little Emma! I thought she handled it very well.
November 9, 2016
9 years ago


4 comments:
Beautifully handled, Emma...and Mommy too!
Oh, what a relief! I love when kids are so awesome!
Well done! Emma handled the whole thing very well....and I am glad they were able to play together nicely afterwards too:)
I laughed out loud when I read this story...I can just see the scenario playing out! I'm proud of Emma, too! She handled that situation quite nicely. How sweet that she can already see that people see things differently, but she played with the little girl anyway. :o)
Post a Comment