Saturday, April 16, 2011

What We've Been Up To

Mike began sanding our hardwood floors upstairs today! We were a little nervous about what we might find underneath the layers of paint and varnish. Besides a few dark spots, the floors looked great. They have alot of character which I am thrilled about. I love all the dents, strong graining, and nails! They all add to the character of the aged wood.

Below is a picture of what looks to be some water damage. I applied some clear polyeurethane so that I could see if their was going to be alot of contrast and there is. So, we thought about just staining the floors a darker color to allow the "black/darker" area to blend in better but I think we will probably just put carpet in this room. It's quite a large spot and in an area where we couldn't really cover it up with an area rug. This is going to be the girls' playroom, so the added insulation will be appreciated I'm sure.

Below is a picture of a sample of floor after I applied a little polyeurethane to it. I'm so pleased with the color of the natural wood. This is only clear coat, no stain. Love the look of it. I definitely do not want to go any darker. It has such a warm undertone.

Mike has also been working on tiling our masterbath shower/garden tub. We decided to keep it very straight-line and simple. We still have to finish off with crown molding and the wall is not finished out yet. But you get the idea. It is about 5 ft wide and will be eventually glassed in.

We went with a smaller mosaic tile on the floor. When this pic was taken Mike still needed to grout the tile on the step. That has since been done.

Still a work in progress.
June is still our goal. Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we finish things up.

0 comments: